Barrington Injury Attorneys

Call Today for Your Free Consultation


(224-900-4878) Available 24/7
224 West Main Street, Suite 100, Barrington, IL 60010

How Do I File a Claim After a Bus Accident in Illinois?

 Posted on August 21, 2020 in Car Accidents

Barrington car accident lawyerMany people understand the general process they must go through if they get into a car accident, but what if they were in a bus accident? Filing an injury claim to receive compensation from the party at fault is somewhat more complicated in cases like these. However, with a capable attorney and a thorough understanding of how public transportation liability works in Illinois, you will be able to pursue the compensation that you deserve.

Different Types of Bus Accidents

Unlike car accidents, the insurance claim process differs depending on whether you are a passenger on a bus or if a bus hits your car. If you are a passenger, you must first determine whether the bus driver or another driver was primarily responsible for the accident.

If another driver was at fault, the process is nearly identical to an ordinary car accident. You and your attorney must prove that the other driver did not drive with a reasonable degree of care. Pointing to any facts implying that the other driver was speeding, distracted, or under the influence will quickly prove that that driver is at fault.

However, if your accident was caused by a public bus driver, there are a few more steps involved before you can receive your accident claim. Unlike a typical car accident, public transit operators are held to a higher standard than ordinary drivers. For that reason, it can be easier to prove that a bus driver was at fault for your injury. Illinois law expects ordinary drivers to use at least a reasonable degree of care when driving, but anyone operating a mode of public transit will be held to the highest degree of care.

If you decide to move forward and file a claim against the government, the statute of limitations for filing a notice of a claim is one year. Within that time, you must file a claim with the Attorney General and the Clerk of the Court of Claims. If you do so, you then have two years to proceed with a lawsuit. If you do not wish to follow this extra step, you can just file a lawsuit with the Court of Claims.

Contact a Naperville Bus Accident Attorney

Raise your chances of receiving adequate compensation for any injuries you sustained during a bus accident by reaching out to a highly-skilled Naperville bus accident attorney. At Barrington Injury Attorneys, we have extensive experience building rigorous cases for our clients so that they can attain fair compensation after an accident. To schedule a free consultation, call 224-900-HURT.


Share this post:
elite lawyer elite lawyer ISBA NWSBA LCBA AVVO

Barrington Injury Attorneys

224 West Main Street, Suite 100, Barrington, IL 60010

Back to Top